The Legislative Process
Despite wanting to support student organizations as efficiently as possible, there is still a process which we must follow in order to responsibly oversee the fees of the KU student body. The Student Senate Chief of Staff (firstname.lastname@example.org) can clearly outline our funding protocols if you have any questions, but the general process for funding follows this process:
- Student groups should identify all expenses for their organization and the specific event they want funding for.
- If the student group wants funding for a speaker or guest, they must prepare a contractual services agreement.
- The group must decide which expenses they want funded by Student Senate.
- The group should fill out a Senate Funding Request.
- The Student Senate Chief of Staff will assign the group’s request to a student senator.
- The senator will contact the person who filled out the request and fill out a bill for the next legislative cycle of Student Senate.
- The bill, once submitted, will be assigned by the Student Body Vice President to two legislative committees.
- The student group and their senator must speak at both committees for the bill.
- In committees, the bill can be amended and it can either pass or fail.
- If the bill fails either committee, funding will not be allowed. If it passes both committees, the bill will continue to Full Senate.
- If the bill is amended in two different ways in committees, the Student Executive Committee will decide on the final version of the bill to go to Full Senate.
- In Full Senate, the Student Senate can amend and pass or fail the bill.
- If the bill passes, the Student Body President will sign the final bill and the Student Senate Treasurer will process the funding request.
- Funding requests generally require 10 days of processing. After those 10 days, you can spend the money from your bill.
- If your funding is for one unique event, you can return to Student Senate for any new events that you may want help with.
Remember, you can also get advertising help and more with the Student Senate!